Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Layering and Blending Overlays

Someone left a comment asking for a tutorial showing how to use the circle overlay set.  However, the commenter did not state a graphics program for the tutorial.  So, I have written the tutorial for Photoshop.  I guess I'll have to wait and see if this is the correct program.  You can be very complex or very simple with overlays.  This will be a very simple tutorial on layering and blending overlays.  I will not go into great detail on re-coloring overlays, though you can do this to make your papers even more varied.

Supplies:

Circle Overlay Set

1.  Open up an existing paper that you want to change or open up a new canvas the desired size of your paper and fill with the color of your choice.  I have opened up one of my papers from my Anti-Doodle Kit.

2.  Open the overlays in the circle overlay set.


3.  Drag an overlay on top of the existing paper by selecting the Move Tool.  Next, left-click on the overlay, then while holding down the button, drag it over to the canvas holding the paper.  I dragged Overlay01.


4.  Go to the layers palette and change the blend mode of the overlay layer by clicking on the blend dropdown menu and selecting a new blend mode.  I chose Multiply.


5.  Repeat steps 3 and 4 for all the overlays.  My blend modes are:

Overlay01 = Multiply
Overlay02 = Overlay
Overlay03 = Luminosity
Overlay04 = Normal


Obviously, you do not need to use all the overlays.  You can use just a few of them.  In this case, I only used 1-4.

6.  Optional. You can also use the Hue/Saturation (Images > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation or Ctrl + U) to change the color of the overlay.


Here is an example where I only used 3 overlays and I changed the color on one of them.

3 comments:

  1. Great articles, you did a great job.
    Please visit this web to develop your idea.
    www.gfxbd.com
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many candy bars to bribe you into writing this for psp?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, let's make it cookies--AND candy bars, pmsl

    ReplyDelete