Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Circularize a Linear Element


This tutorial will show you how to take a linear element such as ribbon, lace, beads on a string, or text and wrap it into a circle without distorting the original item.  I wrote this tutorial while working a script request.  Therefore, this tutorial is for Paint Shop Pro.

1.  Open up your linear element with the long axis going from left to right.


2.  Resize your element by increasing the width and height times Π (pi = 3.14159).  My element is 3600 pixels wide.  So 3600 pixels *  Π = 11304 pixels. My height is 300 pixels.  300 *  Π = 565

Width = 11304
Height = 565
Resample = Bilinear
Maintain original print size = Unchecked
Lock aspect ratio = Checked
Resize all layers = Checked

3.  Resize the element again.  This time decrease only the width back to the original size.  The new dimensions of my elements are now 3600 wide and 565 high.

Width = 3600
Height = 565
Resample = Bilinear
Maintain original print size = Unchecked
Lock aspect ratio = Unchecked
Resize all layers = Checked

4.  Increase the canvas size so that the height matches the width of your element.  Select the center placement for the element.

Width = 3600
Height = 3600
Placement = Center

5.  Apply the polar coordinates distortion (Effects > Distortion Effects > Polar Coordinates).  The circular element is now complete.


Rectangular to Polar = Checked
Edge mode = Transparent

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks amazing. One day I hope to use this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just done it, and it's a great tut!! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying forever to figure out how to do this. Thank you so much for the wonderful tut, works like a charm! :)

    ReplyDelete