Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Embossed Paper


The original request was for a tutorial that would show how to emboss paper in Photoshop Elements.  As one of my group members has recently sent me PSE 7, I can now take screenshots in that program.  So, here we go.

1.  Open a new canvas for your paper.  PSE has a preset called Scrapbooking which will open up at 3600 x 3600 pixel paper at 300 dpi.  I think that is very nice.


2.  Fill your canvas with a color of your choice.  I used Edit > Fill Layer and then selected color.


3.  This will cause a palette to appear and you can choose a color.


4.  Go to the effects menu, make sure filters are selected and select Texture from the dropdown menu.


5.  Choose the Texturizer effect.


6.  Click Apply.  This will bring up the Texturizer menu.


7.  There are 4 default textures available in the Texturizer menu.  To use a non-default texture, click the triangle to bring up the Load Texture menu.


8.  Click Load Texture.


9.  PSE will now bring up a file window where you can select a custom texture file.  The texture file must be in PSD format.  I saved the Japanese peony vector that I made in my tracing images in Illustrator tutorial as a PSD file.  Select your file and click OK.


10.  This will apply the texture at the default settings.  Scale changes the size of the embossing texture.  Texturizer will automatically wrap the texture.  Change the scale to your desired size.  I changed mine to 100%


11.  Relief changes the depth of the emboss.  I left mine at the default of 20.

12.  Light changes the direction of the light.  I changed mine to Top Left.



13.  Invert flips the emboss so that the peaks are valleys and vice versa.


Here is the final image.

2 comments:

  1. JHawk,
    Love the paper spencer. the tut was easy to follow. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Spencer!
    Brilliant tut. I am currently working on a range of embossed papers and this technique gives a slightly diffferent result to my own :-)
    Thanks!
    juno
    xx
    Juno's Place
    Cards by Carol

    ReplyDelete