Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Saving Styles in Photoshop

Since people were interested in my puffy felt style, I thought I would write up how to save an existing set of layer styles.  I am using my puffy felt heart as an example.

1.  Assuming that you have a layer with styles that you want to save, select that layer in the layer palette.



2.  Go to the Styles palette and click either the icon which looks like a folded canvas



or the set of three lines in the upper right hand corner and select New Style in the menu.




3.  A dialog will appear that will ask you to give the style a name. It will also provide a miniscule preview of the style to the left of the name.  Make sure Include Layer Effects is selected.  The Layer Blend for this style is normal, so I chose to leave Layer Blending Options unchecked.  However, if you style uses a blend mode, then select Include Layer Blending Options.



4.  Once you click OK, the style is saved and will appear in your Styles palette.

5.  If you decide that you don't like the name you gave the style, then you can right-click on the style in the Styles palette and then select Rename Style.



Alternative
1.  The other way to save a style is to click New Style in the Layer Style Dialog.



2.  A dialog will appear that will ask you to give the style a name. It will also provide a miniscule preview of the style to the left of the name.  Make sure Include Layer Effects is selected.  The Layer Blend for this style is normal, so I chose to leave Layer Blending Options unchecked.  However, if you style uses a blend mode, then select Include Layer Blending Options.



3.  Once you click OK, the style is saved and will appear in your Styles palette.

Saving Style Sets
I made a set of different puffy felt styles in different colors.  To save all of them as a set, I went into the Preset Manager.

1.  Go to the Style Palette and click on the three lines in the upper right hand corner.



2. Select the Preset Manager.



3.  Select the styles you want to save by clicking on the first one, pressing Shift, then holding the Shift key down and selecting the last style to choose all the styles next to each other.  Or,  press Ctrl, hold it and select individual styles.  Then select Save Set.



4.  A dialog will appear that will ask you to give the style set a name.  Also pick a location for saving.  I save my styles in My Documents > Adobe > Styles.



Here is a set of Puffy Felt styles that people can use with the Stitched Puffy Felt tutorial.  These styles will work best on a white or light-colored object.



3 comments: