Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Puffy Effect

I thought I would share a little tip tonight on making an object look soft and puffy in Paint Shop Pro.  It is fairly easy to accomplish this in Photoshop because Photoshop has styles.  However, Paint Shop Pro does not.  However, it is easy to give an object or piece of text a bit of puff.

1.  Open up your object or text in Paint Shop Pro. I'm using text at 250 pt in my example.

2.  Select the object.  (Ctrl + A to Select All, Ctrl + F to float the selection, then Ctrl + Shift + F to defloat the selection will select the object and maintain any existing anti-aliasing and transparency).


3.  Create a new raster layer (Layers > New Raster Layer).


4.  Apply the cutout effect (Effects > 3D Effects > Cutout) at 50% opacity and 50 blur.  Make horizontal and vertical any positive number that covers 10-25% of the object's edge.

Vertical = 7
Horizontal =7
Opacity = 50
Blur = 50
Shadow Color = Black
Fill interior with color = Unchecked

5.  Make another raster layer.


6.  Apply the Cutout effect a second time, but make the horizontal and vertical the negative versions of the previous settings.

Vertical = -7
Horizontal =-7
Opacity = 50
Blur = 50
Shadow Color = Black
Fill interior with color = Unchecked

7.  Merge the second cutout layer into the first cutout layer using Merge Down.


8.  If you like the look of the effect you can stop.  If you want the puff to be slight inset, then apply Gaussian Blur to the selection with a radius that is half of the horizontal and vertical values in the Cutout Effect.


Radius = 3.50

9.  Ctrl + D to select none and the puff is complete.

4 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the DigiFree category today [17 Apr 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a text and font that was done in a signature tag. I have no way of contacting the person who made it. Can you determine how to make this beautiful two colour satin puffy text?
    I can't send it as an attachment can you write me so I can send it to you? Thank you, Antoinette
    islandantoinette@hawaii.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the previous post I see that the picture did upload. I see you can even click on it so it makes bigger so you can SEE well the text I am talking about. I really don't know where to try to find this text but I absolutely LOVE it and am dying to find it somewhere. Or learn how to make it. Any ideas you may have will be greatly appreciated by me regarding this. Thank you. Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please provide a link to the picture that you uploaded.

    ReplyDelete