Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Parchment Texture in Paint Shop Pro


I wanted to see how easy or hard it would be to make a parchment texture in Paint Shop Pro versus Photoshop.

Supplies:

Balls and Bubbles Preset (Optional)

Because Paint Shop Pro does not have a clouds effect, it takes a bit more work to create a parchment paper texture. You can use a plugin, like Mura Meister Clouds or Eye Candy: Texture Noise and skip steps 5-11 .

1. Open a new canvas 1200 x 1200. I'm going to turn this into a seamless tile before using it to make a full-sized paper.

2. Fill the canvas with gray (#808080).

3. Apply the Grain fine cloudy Texture (Effects > Texture Effects > Texture).



Texture = Grain fine cloudy
Size = 200%
Smoothness = 15
Depth = 1
Ambience = 0
Shininess = 0
Color = White
Angle = 315
Intensity = 50
Elevation = 30

4. Sepia tone the image to age it (Effects > Artistic Effects > Sepia Toning).



Amount to age = 75

5. Now we will create the cloud effect. Create a new Raster Layer. Name it Clouds and change the blend mode to overlay.



6. Fill the layer with gray (#808080).

7. Apply the Balls and Bubbles effect (Effects > Artistic Effects > Balls and Bubbles).



Shape
Automatic multiple balls or bubble = Checked
Coverage = 100
Average size = 15
Size variation = 75
Ball or bubbles type = Intersecting
Randomize = Checked



Surface
Material = White
Opacity = 15
Shininess = 50
Gloss = 0



Maps
Bump Map = Unchecked
Environment Map = Unchecked



Illumination
Maximum = 50
Minimum = 0
Light 1
  • Position = Upper Left
  • Color = White
  • Highlight Size = 33
  • Back Light = Unchecked
  • Bubble Light = Unchecked
In case this is confusing, I have made a Balls and Bubbles Preset which you can place in your presets folder and load all the settings instead of trying to figure out my lighting positions.

8. Dilate (Effects > Edge Effects > Dilate).



9. Enhance the edges (Effects > Edge Effects > Enhance).



10. Find the Edges (Effects > Edge Effects > Find All).



11. Gaussian Blur to create the clouds (Adjust > Blur > Gaussian Blur).



Radius = 40.0

12. Seamless tile the Clouds layer (Effects > Image Effects > Seamless Tiling).



Tiling Method = Corner
Direction = Bidirectional
Horizontal offset (%) = 0
Vertical offset (%) = 0
Transition (%) = 50
Corner style = Linear

13. Merge the layers (Layers > Merge > Merge Visible).

The parchment texture is now complete and can be used as a seamless tile to create larger papers. I have also made a script out of this tutorial which for those of you who want this to be as easy as an action in Photoshop.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Scrapbook Freebies Search List, under the Photoshop/Gimp Resource(s) (Brush(es), Swatch/Palette, ...) post on Jun. 09, 2009. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 09 Jun [LA 07:00pm, NY 09:00pm] - 10 Jun [UK 02:00am, OZ 12:00pm] ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the script to make things easy for me, but as I am now beginning to get to grips with PSP I shall also enjoy following the script to gain some valuable experience, your thoughtfulness is much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Spencer! I'm going to play around with it to see if I can get a decent kraft paper out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a later version of Corel and I found this guide very useful.

    ReplyDelete