Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Frame with Mitered Corners


The original request for this tutorial was how to make a frame with mitered corners out of a ribbon.

1.  Open your ribbon.  I'm using an image that is 3600 pixels wide and 300 pixels high.

2.  Rotate the image 45 degrees to the left.

Direction = Left
Free = 45
All Layers = Checked

3.  Crop the image in a rectangle to cut off a triangle on the right side of the image.


4.  Rotate the 90 degrees clockwise.


5.  Crop the image in a rectangle to cut off a triangle on the left side of the image.


6.  Rotate the image 45 degrees to the left.

Direction = Left
Free = 45
All Layers = Checked

7.  Select All (Ctrl + A).

8.  Float the Selection (Ctrl + F).

9.  De-float the Selection (Ctrl + Shift + F).  This creates an anti-aliased selection.

10.  Crop to the selection.


11.  Increase your canvas size so that the sides are all the length of the ribbon.  In my case, this is 3601 pixels.  Make sure that the placement of the re-sized object is at the top of the canvas.

Width = 3601
Height = 3601
Top = 0
Bottom = 3298
Left = 0
Right = 0

12.  Apply an inner bevel to the frame so that the mitered edge will be visible.

Bevel = 1
Width = 12
Smoothness = 16
Depth = 4
Ambience = 0
Shininess = 0
Color = White
Angle = 315
Intensity = 50
Elevation = 30

13.  Duplicate the layer (Layers > Duplicate).

14.  Flip the layer (Ctrl + I).


15.  Mirror the layer (Ctrl + M).


16.  Merge the two layers.  I used Merge Down (Layers > Merge > Merge Down).

17.  Duplicate the layer (Layers > Duplicate).

18.  Rotate the image 90 degrees.



The frame is now complete.  Here is the completed frame.

15 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [09 May 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Spencer -- thank you so much for this!!! I can't believe how fast you finished it! Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome Lime. I hope this is what you were looking for. I had to think about the mitered corner concept for a while.

    ReplyDelete