Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Easy Edge Overlays
This tutorial will show you a fast technique for make an edge overlay in Photoshop that does not require any artistic talent.
1. Open up a new canvas the size of the overlay. Mine is 3600 pixels by 3600 pixels.
2. Select the rectangle tool and choose Paths. Click the arrow next to the Shape Tool icon to activate the settings menu and select Fixed Size. Set the width and height to the size of the canvas. Make sure From Center is checked.
3. Click the center of the canvas. It may be necessary to enable rulers to determine the exact center.
4. Select a color for your overlay. Make it your foreground color.
5. Select a brush for your overlay. Play around with the settings to obtain a pleasing pattern.
6. Go to the path menu and select Stroke Path with brush.
7. Repeat this action, if necessary, to get a nice edge. Here is a grunge edge that I made using a grunge brush, and repeating the stroke 3 times with different blend modes.