Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Stitched Puffy Felt



This tutorial will show you how to make stitched puffy felt in Photoshop.  If you do not want the stitches, then skip the stitching steps. I wrote this tutorial in CS3, but it should work in other versions of Photoshop.

Create the Felt Pattern

1.  Either make or find a felt pattern. You can use the felt pattern provided for the PSP Puffy Felt tutorial if you do not have a felt pattern.  Open it in Photoshop.

 

2.  Go to the Edit menu and select Define Pattern.



3.  Give your pattern a name.



Puffy Felt

1.  Open a new canvas 900 x 900.  If you choose to use a larger canvas, then you need to change the size number in the styles or the middle of your object will look too flat.

2.  I am going to use a custom shape, but you can use anything you like.  Go to the custom shape tool.



3.  Make sure shape layers is selected.  Choose your shape.  I chose the heart shape which came with my Photoshop CS3.   Set the color you wish the shape to be.  I used #fdc0ff.



4.  Go to layer styles (Layer > Layer Style) and set the Inner Shadow, Inner Glow, Bevel and Emboss, Color Overlay and Pattern Overlay.  Remember to increase the size option in each style if you have chosen a larger canvas.

Inner Shadow


Inner Glow


Bevel and Emboss


Color Overlay

Choose the same color as your object.

Pattern Overlay

Select the Felt Pattern that you created earlier.  If you are using my felt image and you are creating an image larger than 900 x 900, then you need to increase the scale proportionally.  For example, if you make a 2400 x 2400 image, then you need to increase the scale 2.6X or about 266%.

5.  In the layer palette, right-click on the layer and select Copy Layer Style.



6.  Go the Path Palette and right-click on the Vector Mask (if you are using a custom shape).  Choose Make Selection.  If you already have a Raster Selection, then you can skip this step.



7. Now that you have a selection, make a work path from the selection.


8. Make a new layer (Layer > New > Layer or Shift + Ctrl + N).

9.  Increase your canvas size to 1000 x 1000 (Image > Canvas Size or Alt + Ctrl + C).



10.  Select a brush for creating the edging around the object.  I chose a basic round brush because I wanted a flat, plain edge.  Permanent Marker Medium Tip is a brush preset in the Dry Media Brush set that comes with CS3.  The actual brush is Hard Round 32.



11.  In the Path Palette, stroke the path with the brush to create an edge around your shape.



12.  Return to the Layer Palette and right-click on the new layer.  Then choose Paste Layer Style.


The puffy felt shape is now complete.



Stitching

1.  Open a new canvas.  Mine is 50 x 100 pixels.

2.  Use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to draw a rectangle.



3.  Fill the rectangle with black.



4.  Go to Edit > Define Brush Preset to save the rectangle as a brush.



5.  Give the brush a name.



6.  Go into the Brush Palette and increase the spacing in Brush Tip Shape to allow for single stitches.  If you make the brush in the same direction as I did, then change the angle to 90.



7.  So that the stitching will follow the shape of the object, go to Shape Dynamics in the Brush Palette.  Make sure that Angle Jitter Control is set to Direction.



8.  Return to the canvas with the puffy felt object.  Make a new layer (Shift + Ctrl + N).

9.  Go to Edit > Transform Path > Scale.




10.  Resize the work path so that it now outlines the edge of the puff.



11.  Press the Return or Enter key to commit to the warp.

12.  Stroke the path with your stitch brush.



13.  In the Path Palette, click the trashcan and delete the work path.



14.  Go to layer styles (Layer > Layer Style) and set the Drop Shadow and the Bevel and Emboss styles.

Drop Shadow


Bevel and Emboss


The puffy felt object has now been stitched.



I'm not sure if people want my layer styles, my felt pattern or my stitch brush.  Please a comment if you are interested in these items.

16 comments:

  1. I would love your layer styles, felt pattern and brush. Thanks so much for your tuts, Spencer!!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial. It is worth that I follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tutorial. Thank you so much. I also would love your layer styles, felt pattern and brush.... Val

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial Spence, thanks for sharing.

    Julie Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent tutorial, I did step by step and love the results. First time I use PS. Thans so much Spencer
    Tron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to learn how you make things! I would love any styles & brushes that you'd be willing to share! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great tutorial.... Thanks for creating it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to have layer styles, felt pattern and stitch brush.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial,simple & to the point. very useful for a novice like me. Thank you for sparing the time to makeit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love the tutorial but sadly cannot attempt to do it since I only own PSEv8.0. It would be nice to see this same tutorial for PSP.

    I still love your site and visit it often!! Thanks for all your hard work.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon, please read the text of this tutorial. In the text, I provide a link to my PSP version of puffy felt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your tutorials and always wanted to make this effect for myself not from a action. Thanks for sharing. Would love the layer style, felt and brush if you would share it with me please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would LOVE to have them!!!
    I've been looking for something like this for ages!
    Thanks so much for sharing, Spencer!
    Hugs
    Myst

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome is this?!!! I loved this tut. I would love to have your layer styles, etc. Wow! xoxox Beth

    ReplyDelete