Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.
Sunday, February 26, 2012
This tutorial will show you how to make a paper sticker alphabet in Photoshop.
6x6 Grid Template
1. Open up the 6x6 grid template. It is 3000 x 3000 pixels and will create 36 500x 500 characters so that you can have 26 letters and 10 numbers. You can also make one letter at a time and not use the grid template. I think it is easier and faster to make all the letters at once.
2. Select a nice font. I am using Copse. It is a commercial use ok font from Font Squirrel. With the text tool, write out your letters and numbers as vectors. Try to position each letter in the middle of a grid square. Choose any color you like.
3. With the Move Tool or in the Layer Palette, select all the letters or type layers.
4. In the Layer Palette, right-click the selected layers and choose 'Rasterize Type' from the menu.
5. In the Layer Palette, right-click on the selected layers and select 'Merge Layers' from the menu. This should merge all the letter layers but not the grid template layer.
6. Select the paper of your choice and open it in Photoshop.
7. Drag the paper on top of the layer with the alpha by selecting the Move Tool. Next, left-click on the paper, then while holding down the button, drag it over to the canvas holding the alpha.
8. Right-click on the new layer that is your paper and select 'Create Clipping Mask'.
9. The paper is now clipped to the text.
10. Select the layer with the text and apply a white outer stroke using the Layer Styles (Layer > Layer Style > Stroke) the letters in white.
Position = Outside
Blend Mode = Normal
Opacity = 100%
Fill Type = Color
Color = White (#FFFFFF)
11. Hide the grid template layer by clicking the eye next to the layer and the alphabet is ready to be saved as either a single sheet or sliced into individual files. If you have used my grid template, then you can use my Alpha Cutter Action to slice the image into individual files.