1. Create the original image. Mine is an alpha that I made for SNL challenge #64.
2. Select the area that you want to mask.
3. Create the mask from the selection.
4. Here is my original set of layers and my new set of layers.
|Original Layers||New Layers|
5. With the mask layer selected, it is possible to apply an effect to the mask layer. I applied a texture using a plugin. I thought this would also be a good way to apply a grunge effect and preserve the original image.
6. However, in PSP 9 at least, once I saved the image, I could not open it again. I received the "This is not a valid Paint Shop Pro Image file" message. If the image is saved using only the effects in PSP (not a plugin), then the image will open. Odd, no?
In conclusion, you can apply effects to mask layers, but you cannot re-open a saved image if the effect is created using a plugin.