Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

How to Use Any B&W Image as a Mask

This tutorial will show you how to use any black and white image as a layer mask on a paper in Paint Shop Pro.

Supplies:

B&W Butterfly
Unryu Paper Pack

1.  Open up your black and white image.  For this tutorial, I have provided a black and white flower and butterfly image.

2.  Open up your paper.  I am using one of the mulberry rice papers from my Unryu Paper Pack.


3.  If you image is a JPEG, promote the background to a layer (Layers > Promote Background Layer).


4.  There are two different ways to use the black and white image as a mask.  Go to Layers > New Mask Layer > From Image.


5.  In the first method, create a mask from the source luminance.  This will cause all the black parts of the image to be masked or transparent.  Do this by selecting the b&w image from the drop down list for the Source window.  Then, select Source luminance.


Here is the result.


Now you can put another paper under this one or place it over a photograph.



6.  In the second method, the mask data is inverted so that the butterfly remains, but the rest of the image is masked.  Do the same as in step 5, but make sure Invert Mask Data is checked.


Here is the result.


A paper can be placed below the mask group to make the butterfly stand out.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 2 post on Oct. 04, 2009. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you,I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial and the freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your helpul, easy to follow tut, much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks....finally paint shop lessons that I can understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. and the butterfly is oh so beautiful....can't wait to use....will let you know when I have :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the freebie and the tutorial! I love to learn new things and you've explained it SO WELL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorials! Thank you. They are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What an excellent tutorial. I loved the final result. Thanks a lot for sharing this simple explanation. Keep blogging....

    Regards,
    image masking services

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so wonderful that you are willing to share your talent. Thank you for including Paint Shop Pro within your tutorials.

    ReplyDelete