Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Temporarily Making Fonts Available for Photoshop

One great reason to use Paint Shop Pro is that fonts do not need to be installed into Windows for you to use them in the program.  Instead, you can simple open the font with Windows Font Viewer (then minimize the window) and Paint Shop Pro will recognize the existence of the font and make it available for use with the Type Tool.  The same flexibility is not available for Photoshop.  In addition, I have read that many people believe that you need to install a font in order for it to be used with the Type Tool in Photoshop.  This is not true.  This tutorial will show you how to make a font temporarily available for Photoshop and you do not need to install the font.

1.  Before you start Photoshop, open the font with Windows Font Viewer.


2.  Start Photoshop.

3.  Once Photoshop has loaded, the font will be visible in the Type Tool dropdown list.


4.  Here is one final tip,  if you have forgotten to open the font before starting Photoshop, but you HAVE NOT USED THE TYPE TOOL, then you can still open the font with the Windows Font Viewer and make it show up in the Type Tool dropdown list.  The first time you use the Type Tool, Photoshop loads all the fonts in the system and these will be the only fonts it recognizes until you close the program.

ADDENDUM:  This tip will not work in Windows 7.  Because of the new Font Management system in Windows 7, you need to open the font with a Font Managing Program (not Windows Font Viewer) to make it show up for PSP and PS.

3 comments:

  1. Neat tip! Thanks ♥♥♥

    However there is a small problem with PSP

    I used to do just that (minimizing the window)until I got a new machine with Windows 7. Doesn't work anymore :( at least not for me.

    Had to find a new font manager too. My trusty old Fontxplorer is not compatible :((

    Taking good note of the PS tip tho ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Windows 7, you need to open up the font in a font manager for either PSP or PS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip. I'm very new to Photoshop and this website has been very helpful.

    ReplyDelete