Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.
Friday, October 15, 2010
Alpha Cutter Action and Tutorial
6 x 6 Grid Template
Alpha Cutter Action and Output Settings Preset
1. The letters for the alpha need to be put on a grid. The cutter uses will evenly divide any canvas into 6 columns and 6 rows. This allows for 26 letters and 10 numbers. If you do not have a grid that you can follow, you can use my Grid Template. Open up the template or your own canvas in Photoshop.
2. Select a nice font. With the text tool, write out your letters and numbers as vectors. Try to position each letter in the middle of a grid square.
3. Turn off the layer containing the Grid Template by clicking the eye symbol on the layer palette.
4. Apply any styles or perform any actions needed to create the look of the alpha.
5. Install the action if you haven't done so already. Place the "alpha-cutter.iros" file some place where you can easily find it. Mine is in My Documents > Adobe > Presets > Output Settings.
6. Create the following directory My Documents > Adobe > alpha.
7. Play the action.
8. When you reach the pop-up box, read the instructions and press 'Continue'.
9. You may get a Save for Web warning message if you are using my template as the image is very large. Click 'Yes' if you get this warning.
10. Click the Optimize Settings button.
11. Select 'Edit Output Setting's from the menu that appears.
12. In the Output Settings dialog, click 'Load'.
13. Find the 'alpha-cutter.iros' file and load it. You should only have to perform steps 10-13 the first time you run the action. You will have to perform steps 10-13 again if you change the settings in the future.
14. Click 'Save'.
15. If you created the alpha directory, then the dialog will open in that directory. If not, then it will open in your last used directory. You can, if you wish, change to a different folder or make a folder for the alpha. The default name that appears in the dialog is the name of the file. So, if you used my Grid Template, then it will be HGG_gridtemplate.
16. Change the default name to something else.
17. Click 'Save' and the files will be saved.
When you go to the folder, you can see the individual files. They will be numbered from 1 - 36.